Tuesday, May 23, 2006

so, short rows huh?

i wrote about this over on my blog but here's the gist of what's going on with my green gable. i have a rather large chest in proportion to my arm size and was really hoping to avoid the gaping armhole problem that i have had with previous raglan style sweaters. my chest measurement is 37" so i originally decided to do the medium size. after hearing that this was running small for many people, i went with HEJ's recommendation and did another repeat of parts A&B then 11 repeats of C&D, divided for the arms and tried it on. success! (well mostly) the arms fit great but the chest is definitely too small.

hence short rows. i had no idea how to do them to shape a bust but winged it (wrong idea) and will be ripping back to the cream yarn lifeline that you see in the picture below tonight.



but, i did run across some help on knitty as to how to properly put in short row bust shaping so i thought that i would post the information here.

La bonne tricoteuse - a shaping tutorial using short rows

the pattern that is linked to from this knitty article for an example of the shaping actually has the same stitch gauge as GG so i think that it's going to be a match! knitty recommends starting the shaping 2 to 3" below any armhole shaping so since this is a "medium" size i'm going to rip back to my lifeline and knit to 2.5" before giving this a try! hopefully this information is helpful to anyone else who wants to give it a go.

there's also a great couple of posts on short rows over at nonaknits (scroll down to see posts). she compares the three different varieties: wraps, yarnovers, and japanese method. just in case you want to spice it up :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Sourire11 said...

I just joined this knit along and I’m having the same issues you are! I’m short but I have a 37”ish bust so if I knit the large the arms will be real baggy but there is no way a medium is going to fit my bust…So I’ve been at a loss as to what size to knit…

I think I’ll probably give this a try. I’ve never knit short rows before so thank you for this great post with all of this great info!!! I can’t wait to see how it works out for you!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Jackie F. said...

I'm so glad to read that someone else has the same issues as I do! I'm also knitting a medium, have a 37" bust, and am leaving the option open for short rows. I'm almost 2-3 inches below the underarm, so I'll be trying on my GG and deciding soon. I'm going to try using Japanese short rows if I do add them.

Since Nona doesn't specifically talk about Japanese short rows ITR, here's what I figured out on my own to pick up the purl side pinned loops from the front: Pick up all the knit side pinned loops first. Then when you knit around to where the purl side pinned loops are, stop when your first pinned stitch you come to is the 2nd st on your left needle. Insert your right needle tip up through the pinned loop. Move it behind and to the right of the 1st st on your left needle so that it crosses behind the 1st st. Place the loop on the left needle so it is now the 1st st. Then, K2tog these two sts. This will mimic what happens if you were working on the purl side in rows back and forth. It sounded to me like the criss cross action Nona was talking about to close the purl gap is important and still should be done, even if from the knit side. You might already know this, but it might help someone else!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Jackie F. said...

Gleek,
Are you going to do 6 pinned sts on each side? If not, how many?

4:40 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

i'm a C cup so i'm going to go with the total of 6 stitches on either side.

you know, i think that i will give the japanese short rows a go! might as well!

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home