Friday, April 28, 2006

Hi all, I just cast on for my GG this week (I'm using Cotton Fleece in Mariner Blue). I have been enjoying reading everyone's posts and seeing the finished GGs (already)! I have a question that I hope someone can answer. Is there a design or fit reason for the way the neck of this sweater is joined? Specifically, why does the pattern direct you to cast on, purl one row, and then join for working in the round? This causes a split at the back of the neck. Does the split serve a purpose? I can't get a nice join unless I join immediately after casting on (because I always interlock the first and last stitch and then knit with the tail for a few stitches whenever I join in the round), so I'm hoping this is just a judgment call. I don't want a wonky-looking back neckline, which is what I get when I join without following my usual technique.

Although I have a slight concern about the above-referenced directions, I'm about 16 rounds in and loving the simple lace pattern. Thanks to our newly-engaged hostess for thinking up this knitalong (and to the Zephyr gals for the cute pattern)!

6 Comments:

Blogger Maxmom said...

I didn't follow the directions and instead joined right away.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Thanks, maxmom!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Katie,
Rock the pattern however you want - there's nothing about the pattern that will mess up. Just FYI, I'll use this join if I am concerned about twisting stitches in the round.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Now that I'm into it, I wish I would have joined right away. The first few lines of the directions are a little wonky, I think. After the cast on, it dictates a purl round. Apparently that is not really intended. I think they intended a knit round, then a purl round, then a join. That seems a little strange to me, too. Eh, c'est la vie--my next one will be done a little differently. It's a cute pattern and I hope to get mine done for MSW. (What a funny group we will all be, walking about in our GG.)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Angela, I wish I could go to MS&W! My parents live 30 minutes from there (I'm in SC), and I was planning to take my daughter up for a visit and a MS&W weekend. But my parents are going to be out of town, and I hate to waste a trip up there when I won't be seeing them. Maybe next year.

Thanks for everyone's input.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Katie,
I tied the trip to a family visit, too. My brother-in-law and his family just moved to MD, so I was able to combine a family visit with a bit of self-indulgence. (I also hyped it as an educational experience for my 7-year-old niece!) I'm hoping it could become an annual event for us. (The trip from Chicago to DC is pretty reasonable, too, and there are lots of flights which make it easy to fit this into a weekend without taking time off from work--always a plus.) Ask your parents to put next year's festival on their calendar now!

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home