Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Don't Hate Me

I keep reading about problems people are having with their Green Gables (the lace pattern, the cast-on, the sizing, etc.), and I just don't get it. I am almost at the armholes, and so far no problems. Well, one small hiccup when I thought I was doing the lace wrong, ripped two rows and did it the "right" way only to find I'd been doing it correctly to begin with.

But otherwise smooth sailing. I did a plain old long-tail cast-on, and it seems fine. My sizing is ok too -- I measured as well as calculated the gauge x sts, and it's just right. This might be in part because I adjusted the pattern for DK weight yarn, so maybe in recalculating everything I fixed any sizing issues without realizing it?

I do have issues with the way the pattern is written (mainly I find it frustrating that there's no schematic and no stitch counts at the key points), but so far I'm loving the way mine is turning out. Pictures soon...

4 Comments:

Blogger kaycee said...

I think you might be right about it working out so well for you because you adjusted it for your gauge. Mine is going well also, and it's because I'm using a different yarn with a different gauge so I've had to adjust as well. Glad yours is working out so well for you. I agree that it would be nice to have a schematic in the pattern and a little more detail with the stitch counts.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Erica B. said...

I agree with you. I don't see where the problems are coming from either. If you measure the fullest area of your bust and go from there... I don't get. This was one of the easiest patterns I've done. This was the second pattern I've used from these ladies and they are very well written. Took me a whole 5 days of knitting and 1 day for blocking.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I had no problems with the actual knitting - it's an extremely straight forward pattern. I had no problem getting gauge either using a different yarn. But as HEJ's post has shown in her calculations, if you - for example - knit the size 32" and you knit to gauge you'll end up with a garment 26.5" across the chest, which is exactly what happened to me. That's a hell of a lot smaller than 32".

This whole problem could have been avoided by the pattern including stitch counts and schematics as then it would have been very easy to look at the stitch counts you end up with and figure out what the bust measurement would be.

So I would guess you have avoided the sizing issue by adjusting for your gauge.

It's a great pattern - and makes a beautiful garment, but as I think this KAL has shown the pattern could definitely do with some additions - a note about the cast on method to use, schematics and stitch counts. Then it would be perfect ;)

12:09 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Oh, and I should also have added, HEJ's calculations indicate that the sizing issue only seems to affect the smaller sizes which probably explains why erica b had no sizing issues with hers.

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home