Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Frogging and the natural order of things

Ok, so I did my first frogging of the Green Gable sweater. I should know better than to try to do anything that involves keeping track when I go to knitting group. Multi-tasking has never been my strong suit and last night just proved that point. I love being with my gals and hearing about their week so my focus quotient was definitely not there. I got home and realized that my counts were WAAAAAAY off on the front openwork. Not enough increases at the markers.

It is such fun to frog in front of my husband. From the look on his face you would think I was shredding the Shroud of Turin. He gets upset and says things like "It looked ok to me." Then he asks me if I'm ok, as if that was some kind of psychotic episode and the next phase is coming after him with a cleaver. Every time it happens I explain that this is just part of the natural cycle of creation and that he is in no physical danger. But I notice he keeps a low profile afterwards, probably afraid that I will blow up at the slightest provocation.

To be fair, I have not always been able to assume a calm serenity with my frogging. There was that baby blanket with its precise number of stitches and exact locations of yo's that nearly sent me over the edge. I frogged it eight times and then put it away before I acted on my urge to stab someone with the needles. I only take it out and work on it when I am feeling very calm and focussed.

I am not naturally a patient person. Knitting has taught me volumes about delayed gratification and the importance of long-term goals. I have learned that the joy is in the journey as well as the destination. Frogging is just a slight detour.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

I know just what you mean! Time was if anything ever needed to go to the frog pond that was the last that would be seen of it. Now though I see frogging as an occasional necessary evil, and don't let it stress me out at all.

I just keep telling myself it's making me a better knitter ;)

8:10 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Knitting has done the same for me. It has definitely helped up my patience level.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home