Thursday, April 20, 2006

Sizing

I've noticed several people (myself included) have left comments on previous posts about the sizing of this pattern.

It seems a lot of us are getting gauge spot on yet we're knitting up tiny garments!

I'm 5'2" and a 32" chest. Whatever I knit I always have to knit either the XS or S size and even then stuff can be a little on the large side ;). I started knitting the XS size of the GG but when I got to the armholes discovered it was way way too small. I think when I measured it it equalled a chest size of about 22". The fabric's stretchy, but not THAT stretchy!

I'm now knitting the 36" size (M) and it's looking much better. I think the fit will be fine now, but no way is this a garment that's 18" wide in the chest / body. This version is about 16" wide.

I had thought the problem might have been to do with the yarn I'm using. Not knowing anything about Cotton Fleece I figured at first that it must have amazing elastic properties, but now I'm starting to think that maybe, just maybe there's actually a problem in the sizing of the pattern.

Has anyone knit their "normal" size and got a garment that fits?

7 Comments:

Blogger J Strizzy said...

I haven't started knitting it yet but one thing I noticed that creates a real problem with sizing is that there are no stitch counts in the pattern once you get past the cast-on. If it were easier to figure out how many stitches there should be in the body, it would also be easier to determine whether a given size was really going to come out to the right measurements.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Yes, that's a really good point and has bugged me too. I've had to go through each stage and manually work out the stitch count. As you say it would be so much easier if the stitch counts were in the pattern.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Cotton Fleece has no amazing elasticity. I just finished the last of the increase rounds for the 36", and I've decided that, rather than start again, I'm going to add another 2 increase rounds (4 rounds total, including straight rounds) to see if that bring the raglan seam to where I like it under the arm.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Maxmom said...

I'm surprised that so many people are having sizing issues. I did use a combo of the M and L but did that because I was using Shine on size 4's and my gauge was just a little shy. I just finished mine and it fits beautifully except for the neckline which is much higher than the original. I'm usually a Medium in tops so I guess my experience has been that the sizing in the pattern are pretty right on. hmmmm.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I am really getting worried now! I will need a the largest size because of my bust. So I think I'll only swatch right now and see what happens. :)

9:19 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I was knitting the largest size in Berroco Touche. I'm not done, but I've gotten past the lace part, and it is WAY too big. I always have to change needle sizes because I'm a tight knitter, but I swatched to get the right gauge. I'm going to check it again (I'm waiting on more yarn to come in...check your yardage!), but I might have to scrap it and start over. Other than that, it's a super simple knit.

11:58 AM  
Blogger soapy said...

I'm using CF and the sizing seems to be 2 sizes to small. I had to rip..I have a 42-44 chest and have to rewrite the entire pattern. It's pretty clear doesn't seem to need stitch counts if you follow each step as outlined and rows.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home