Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Green Gable Frog Pond

I did it today, I frogged my Green Gable sweater. It was way too big. I'm with Zonda- my bust measurement is 42, ( I normally knit a 44 to include ease) and I knit the XL. I tried on the sweater many times throughout the process, and was 4 inches past putting the sleeves on waste yarn, but today I decided to finish one of the sleeves (I knit the ribbing) to see if it made any difference in the fit. Looking in the mirror made me face the truth. Rip-it, rip-it. One of the most frustrating parts of this was my gauge was EXACTLY as indicated in the pattern. I have read all of the posts regarding the sizing of the pattern, and my suspicion is that the XL size was extrapolated from a smaller size, something not actually knit and checked for fit. Oh, well. I think I will walk away from this pattern for awhile, I have alot of patterns I want to knit and to restart this one seems a little boring to me. Maybe I will feel differently after the passage of time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lynne said...

ugh...i know what you mean. then again, it's better to just frog it in the beginning instead of ending up with a lot of hours sunk into something you don't love. i'm definitely going to keep trying this one on as i go, especially since i'm nearing the decreasing section.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Oh I so KNOW your pain!!! Mine is in it's project bag...waiting to be frogged. I've had suggestions to add elastic to the neckline, but when the sleeves stink too..well you know...off to the frog pond too! I too am putting it away for a while. Maybe we should keep in touch to see if we try it again (I want to) and compare notes. It makes me very leary of buying patterns now, unless I know the designer is a big girl like me. :(

Lynne, yes, keep trying it on, if it isn't working frog and fix...don't be sad like me! :)

3:20 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

yeah, i'm all about trying this on as a go. there's a tiny bit of extra fabric on the sides right above my boobs, but i think that the combination of finishing the sleeves and wearing a bra that lifts a bit will make it fit perfectly. hehe...

7:25 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I first made the XL and it was gigantic, also. It sounds like I'm around the same size as you. I haven't frogged it yet, but it's so big it hangs off one shoulder like Flashdance. I made another one in the next to largest size and it fits pretty nicely. I don't look as good as the skinny people making those S and Ms, but I like it. Maybe someday I'll post a pic (I'm so flaky about posting pics.)

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home