Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A newbie sweater knitter here!

Hi, please bear with me with this simple question! This is my first sweater in the round and I've finally done my gauge swatch in the round and got 6 st per inch with a row count of 32 on size 6 circs. GAH! Should I have been using the size 4 for the swatch? I am a very tight knitter as you can see :) I will need the XL size for at least a 40" bust and don't mind if it is a tiny bit big. I need help! :) Thanks!
btw: I am using the cotton fleece.

Everyone's is looking great! Thanks for the new info on the cast on (gotta go look that one up!) and HEJ for the math calc's as my math skills are not the best! I really want to make this and have it fit!

7 Comments:

Blogger KellyHL said...

Go to knittinghelp.com for a video on the backward loop cast on.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I am getting gauge on US7s. You need to go up a needle size if you need fewer stitches per inch. If you are getting 6=1" on US6, you need your stitches to be larger so you get fewer stitches (5) per inch. So, try some 7s and see how you do.

Also, take a really close look at High Energy Jenny's post from yesterday where she has some stitch counts and measurements. Measure yourself again and decide if you want to knit L or the XL, looking at the measurements that she says you might get.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Thanks Kelly and Liz! I was looking at the size issue too! I will remeasure myself and reswatch on 7's! :)

3:12 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Yikes, If I do get gauge on the 7's, would I use 5's in place of the 4's? Thanks again!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Wow! That is unreal, I went to knittinghelp.com and that is how I used to cast on years ago, until I learned longtail and K-on! Yippee! at least that part will be easier! ;)

4:10 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Re: smaller needle. Yes, I am planning on using US 5s to knit the ribbing at the bottom of the sweater. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is less important than getting that right gauge for the rest of the sweater. You need to knit the ribbing on a smaller needle so that the ribbing does pull in a little, and so that the stitches will look even between the stockinette and rib sections.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Whitney said...

I am a tight knitter too and I am doing mine with 7s and my gauge was dead on. I always have to go up a needle size to get gauge :)

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home