Thursday, July 20, 2006

Green Gable Knit Along

Green Gable Knit Along

Hi, this is my first post (tho I've commented). I am on my 4th or 5th try with Debbie Bliss Cathay in purple. I have taken 2 photos but don't quite know how to upload them here (maybe someone will enlighten me). I have posted them on my own blog: http://wolfweave.com/blog under the 2nd post down: "So Much for Vacation." On size 6 needles, I'd only completed 1/2 the lace pattern when the yoke part looked like it was reaching the top of my bra already, so I couldn't imagine where the entire lace yoke was going to end up. Then I switched to size 5 needles. The yoke seems about right but, for some reason, it seems to be getting too wide. I have very narrow shoulders and the raglan lines seem to be widening out way past where they should, I think (and I'm still only on row 21 of AB). Now I did steam it after removing it from the needles, but I steamed the first "sample" too.

Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe I should have just used the Cotton Fleece but it is supposed to be comparable to Cathay (according to Bonne Marie Burns' wraps per inch chart) and I really like the way it feels. Can I ask what size needles the other people who used Cathay ended up using?

And what should I do about my raglan lines? Should I stop increasing or not increase every other row (maybe every 4th row instead for a while)? This is taking me forever and I just want to complete 1 freaking summer project (just 1 summer top to wear) before the summer is over!!!

thanks,
Susan

1 Comments:

Blogger ZhiWen said...

Hi! I know that Aimee has successfully completed a Gable with DB Cathay. Maybe check with her?
I am also using this yarn, but still in the decreasing stage. I am making a size Medium/38 on US6 needles and it's turning out ok (maybe you are knitting too loosely? Or it may be that 38 is fitting me well because of my broad shoulders). The only problem I had was in the decreasing part. According to the pattern there are 2 decrease rows, but as you may have learned from reading everybody else's posts, more decreasing (and maybe a little increasing) could make your Gable a better fit. I started decreasing about 2.5inch from the underarm seam, have decreased every 5th row and have reached my fifth decrease.

I hope this helps a little :) Happy knitting!

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home