Monday, July 24, 2006

Green Gable finished - Mind still lost

It’s finally done. And it’s still too big. I’m not sure how I got it in my head that it was supposed to be six stitches to the inch. I guess I assumed *I* must be off after the first try-on when it was so big. I looked at the pattern again and for some reason read it wrong. I wasn’t at my best mentally then, but still. I think I’m quick to assume that I’m wrong, not the pattern. The funny thing is the entire time I was knitting it (the second time), I was thinking how much better I liked the fabric at the looser gauge. I saw that I had been using the correct gauge in the first place when I went to write notes on my pattern. And then I banged my head against the wall for a little while.

Here’s the break down: I fall in the middle of two sizes, but I'm closer to 38 so that’s what I made. After trying it on and finding it to be much too big, I remade the 38 but at a gauge of six stitches to the inch. It’s still too roomy. I don’t like this sweater too big – I like it the way it’s supposed to fit. The neck won’t stay in the boat neck style and it rolls in the front and even more in the back. I blocked it twice – the second time with starch, and it still rolls. I think this might be because it’s too big. If the arms were fitted it would probably hold the neck line down and the front and back taut. When I wore it I spent the entire time pulling it down and tugging at the shoulders. I won’t wear it again until it cools off enough to wear it under a jacket so I can hide the neckline.


Other than accidently knitting at a smaller gauge, I didn't change a single thing in the pattern. If I were to make this again I would make the next smaller size, make it longer, and add the extra decreases and increases that a lot of the other knitters did. For the most part I enjoyed the knitting and I love the design of the sweater, but unfortunately I’m not thrilled with my end result.

And I wanted to add: Thanks to girls who hosted this knit-along! It was great to see the comments of people knitting the same thing I was. I'll definitely want to do another one.


3 Comments:

Blogger Ericka said...

Nice color, and your GG fits like mine does. I plan to re-do mine a size smaller so it's more fitted. Try adding a row of single crochet around the neckline so that it doesn't roll. That's what I did, and it worked out fine.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks Ericka! I was actually thinking about adding crochet around the neckline. I'm glad to hear that it works. I will definitely do it!

Did you make the same size I did? I just noticed that the 38 and 36 start with the exact same stitch counts but that the 38 just goes longer with extra repeats of the lace and section D. I think this widens it in the wrong places and and puts the decreases waaay down. My decreases hit me at my waist - and I'm not short waisted.

It would be interesting to have something like the Zappos review - blank % of knitters found this pattern to be too big/too small/true to size...

6:24 AM  
Blogger Kaitie Tee said...

Laura, I agree with the decreases being too far down on the size 38. I'm very tall (6'0) and my decreases are too low for me. From what I can tell, this pattern has fit very few people as written.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home