Saturday, June 17, 2006

Green Gable - You're on Notice

I am well sick of this sweater. I suppose it's not technically the sweater's fault, but I'm just about over it.

I cast on with spot on gauge and happily knit a few inches. Then I started over to use the newly corrected cast-on and knit about an inch with no problems. But then a close friend of mine suddenly and unexpectedly died. Knitting didn't take up enough of my brain and I was just thinking about Mike. I couldn't stop making really dumb mistakes. Every problem people have mentioned here I've done a thousand times over. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled this thing apart. I've probably knit it twice now. But eventually it got better and I stopped dissolving into a puddle every time I had to tick back because I forgot an increase or screwed up the lace. And eventually I stopped making dumb mistakes and started to enjoy knitting again.

Then last night I tried it on.


WTF? It's enormous! Turns out my gauge is off. Though I swatched with a perfect six stitches to the inch on size 7s, and I double checked it before I pulled it out the very first time, I'm now getting 5 stitches to the inch.

So...


Now I'm getting 5 1/2 stitches to the inch on 6s. This is weird because I'm a fairly tight knitter and I've never gone down in needle size before.

I'm starting over one more time, but if I don't get (and maintain) gauge in 5s, Green Gable is history. At least for a while. I do really want to finish it because I feel like there's a lot of Mike in this sweater. I've thought about him so much while knitting it, but this is the sweater's last chance. If it's not working out after this, I'm moving on to dish cloths.

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz K. said...

Laura, maybe put GG aside and do some grief schmattes. Believe me, after my father died unexpectedly, I don't think I knit anything more than swatches, dishcloths, and simple baby blankets for months. Mike will still be in the sweater when you come back to it, I promise.

And truly, you have my sincerest sympathies.

11:30 AM  
Blogger LeahJR said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:44 PM  
Blogger LeahJR said...

I am sorry for your loss. I can relate to what you are feeling. Something similar happened to me and I also had difficulty with my knitting. I found the best solution was to select really simple projects. In doing so I could still feel comforted by knitting and the satisfaction of completing a project.

As for your different gauge issue, I find that my gauge is different between knitting a flat piece, or in the round. So if I am doing a project in the round, I will be sure to knit a swatch in the round.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you for your sympathies - I really do appreciate it.

I hear you both - I should have put the sweater (and maybe all knitting) aside for a bit, but I can be stubborn like that. The good news is that the initial shock is wearing off and I am able to be alone with my thoughts again and am calming down.

Green Gable is behaving on the 5s, though I'm obsessively checking my gauge in case I revert back to my old tension. Once I get past the arm holes I'll pick up another project to work on at the same time since I'm getting really tired of this one!

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home