Thursday, June 01, 2006

Freakin' gauge

After several false starts due to mistakes in the ribbing, I was off and running on my Green Gable. I'm using Tahki Cotton Classic in a beautiful pearl color. Anyway, I was determined to stick with it so after 2 days, I finally finished the sleeves and was able to try it on and it's too big!!! My face says it all.

I've been reading all of the comments and started overthinking this project. Since it was said to run small, I decided that with a 34" bust, I should knit the size medium. I am pretty thin so I was worried about making this adjustment. I don't get it, my gauge is perfect (5sts = 1") and mathematically it should be right. In reality, it gaps everywhere. UGH!! I have no choice but to rip it out - again. I will immediately cast on and get started again because if I don't get back on the horse right away, I could see this sweater ending up in the frog pond. Please send good gauge vibes my way.

Mohair Dreams

3 Comments:

Blogger Jackie F. said...

I too was worried about making the wrong size after reading that many people thought the pattern ran small. But, mine fits so far. I'm not thin and I'm making the medium (in Tahki Cotton Classic). I had to insert short rows for the bust, but I'm pleased with how it fits at the neck and shoulders. Maybe you might be better off making the smaller size?

3:13 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Good luck casting on for the small!

4:38 PM  
Blogger Erica B. said...

Deena, don't believe the hype! I measure 40" at the fullest part of my bust and I did the size 38. I've been knitting for less than a year and I thought this pattern was very easy. If you read all of the post, it will cause great confusion. You're an awesome knitter... use YOUR best judgement.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home