Saturday, May 06, 2006

Math Corrections. Fairly Important.

Hello all.

I have received a couple emails, and read knit_chick's helpful latest post, and have to admit the math from my previous post is INCORRECT. I am so sorry for any inconvenience, and I have redone the math, with diagram, to help us all out. Thanks to knit_chick, Sarah, and Kelly.

The following diagram is for the XS (the other sizes follow), looking down at the sweater from when you cast on. The numbers you see are:

the starting number of cast-on stitches +
the amount increased during the lace part (A & B) +
the number increased during parts C + D:



So, when all stitches have been increased, and you are at the underarms, and you put the sleeves on waste yarn, you are left with 132 stitches for the XS size, which at gauge of 5 st/inch is 26.4". Quite a bit smaller than one might be prepared for.

Make sense? I have compared math with the three aformentioned awesome ladies, and we all are getting the same results.

Here are the final numbers for the other sizes, in the following format:

Total bust stitches after sleeves put on waste yarn/5 st per inch = final bust size

Small: 144/5 = 28.8"
Medium: 164/5 = 32.8"
Large: 184/5 = 36.8"
X-Large: 208/5 = 42"

So, the pattern as written produces a garment that is quite a bit smaller than the actual bust measurement, for a very close fit. (Except the Large, which looks fine to me, and the X-Large - anyone making the XL want to triple check the math???)

*****************
If you wanted to make the XS - M sizes a bit bigger at the bust, you could repeat the lace portion (parts A & B) more times, like so:

XS: repeat Parts A and B for total of 8 times - 156 st/5 = 31.2"
S: repeat Parts A and B for total of 8 times - 168 st/5 = 33.6"
M: repeat Parts A and B for total of 8 times - 180 st/5 = 36"

NOTE: if you do this, it will lengthen the yoke, and the sleeves - we'll have to experiment to see how this changes the vertical fit, so it doesn't gape at the armholes. You could compensate during parts C+D a bit, but we'll just have to play with it to see. (I'll probably adjust mine and I'll let you know how it goes.)

*************

Hope this has actually been helpful, unlike the previous post. I can make the drawing in this post for the other sizes if you want to see it, just email me at jenny (at) highenergyknits (dot) net. Sorry again for any inconvenience.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jackie F. said...

I'm so glad everyone is discussing the stitch counts and bust measurements -- it's very helpful in deciding what to do. I'm making a Size M. Either I'll add one more repeat in for Parts A/B and/or Parts C/D; or I might do short rows at the bust. Sweaters look better on me if I choose the size that fits well everywhere else besides the bust.

8:31 PM  
Blogger knit_chick said...

Thanks for the update, Jenny! I love the diagrams. My math isn't that great to begin with, so I needed some reassurance.

4:51 AM  
Blogger drdesigns said...

Thank you for this. I know now, I'll need to add one more round of sections A and B to make my size M fit!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Hi- Great post about the sizing! I'm doing the XL and I ended up with 216 stitches for the body with a circumference of right around 43 inches. It fits me with a bit of ease (I have a bust measurement of 40.5).

11:34 AM  
Blogger High Energy Jenny said...

Thanks Alyssa! My math is off a bit from yours but I will check it again! Glad your GG is fitting!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Thanks so much for this, it really is very helpful. Now I at least know for sure that when I started off knitting the XS size for my usual fit (32") and got a garment 26.5" wide, it wasn't my knitting / gauge that was at fault ;)

5:07 AM  
Blogger Silvia said...

Hi Jen- Your posts have been really helpful. I'm making a "small" and I decided to make it 172 stitches once the sleeves are separated, which would make it 34.4 inches (my gauge is a little closer to 21/4", so I think it will end up a little smaller). I did 6 repeats of A/B and then added the extra repeats in C/D (a total of 26 increase rounds of AB and CD). Thanks again and best of luck w/ the HEE.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home