Thursday, May 11, 2006

GG Progress

I've also been progressing nicely on Green Gable. Taking the suggestions of the knit-alongers, I opted to make additional increases for the size I'm knitting. I made additional yoke increases before separating the sleeves (3 to be exact for a total of 24 increased sts.) and I also increased just under the arms after joining. This proved to be a mistake. I tried the thing on just as I past the bust area and there was an extra 4 inches of unwanted ease! I RIIIIIIIIPPPED until just before the sleeves were separated. I decided to knit this width straight for a while (about an inch), to accomodate the bust. I also added 3 Japanese short rows to help. After the short rows, I began decreasing two stitches per inch until 6 stitches had been decreased. Then I decreased 4 stitches at 5 inches like the pattern suggests. I knit for two inches straight, and I intend to increase back up to the ten stitches I decreased. This is my progress so far. I only have about four more inches of increases, the bottom ribbing, and the sleeve ribbing left. She shall be finished by Saturday, at the latest.

I will share that I also had some issues with the lace. For some reason, like many others, I missed a YO somewhere and ended up with 1 fewer stitch after the first lace repeat. Instead of ripping, I increased a stitch where I thought it should go and continued. It was only until I was just about finished with the lace portion that I realized that my lace looked completely different from the lace pictured on the model. So what's a lazy knitter to do? Leave it there and call it CHARACTER! It created a nice diagonal lace pattern that was just as pretty! I think I might make another GG, and I'll be sure to knit her lace correctly.




Also, since the shirt is joined in the back, I decided to take advantage of that and create a cute keyhole opening in the back. I think it provides an added touch of femininity. I'll pick up some matching embroidery thread and crochet an edging and a button loop. I have a nice green pearl button in mind for the closure.

11 Comments:

Blogger Carrieoke said...

ooh, I think the lace and the keyhole look lovely! I think as long as the lace is consistent, it's beautiful!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

I really like the keyhole--nice modification!

10:22 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I like the addition of the keyhole! Cute.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Jackie F. said...

Yay, someone else who likes Japanese short rows! I'm making a medium and might have to add some at the bust. So, how does it look where you did the short rows?

11:01 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Your lace does look just as cute. And I LOVE the keyhole.

11:14 AM  
Blogger kim said...

Jackie,
The wrapped stitches blend seamlessly into the rest of the knitting. It just looks like the stockinette forms an angle in some magical way! This is the first time I've tried it, and this will definitely be my short row method of choice.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Sparkle said...

I'm not familiar with Japanese short rows, but I'm curious. Anyone have a link or other reference for how these are done?

Thanks in advance...

10:48 PM  
Blogger kim said...

Here's a link for the instructions I used. I'm sure there are other tutorials out there.
http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2005/04/japanese_short_.html

8:25 AM  
Blogger kim said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:27 AM  
Blogger zephyr galz said...

Your ahead of the game!
We have a Green Gablet pattern coming out for kids that will be up to purchase shortly and that one has a key hole in the back. It makes it easier to get on those cute teeny heads! =)
Great job on your top, it's looking good!!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Sparkle said...

Thanks, Kim. The URL got cut off, but I did a little sleuthing and found the technique reprised elsewhere in the blog. Here's a TinyURL to the page for anyone else to use:

http://tinyurl.com/ersab

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home